If I get pregnant, I will get an abortion. And you don’t get to tell me that it’s wrong.
Posts like this give the anit-choicers fuel. Abortion isn’t something that should be taken lightly. It is an important decision. You are deciding if…
I would take friendlyangryfeminist’s side here. If this was any other type of potential future decision that someone was similarly emphatic about, would they necessarily be perceived as “taking the situation lightly” or treating it not as “an important decision” simply because they know what their answer is/would be? Who exactly is giving fuel to the opposition here by basically saying we all need to follow a script of pretend emotions and waffling that we don’t all universally feel in order to be seen as “acceptable” in terms of needing reproductive health access??
If I said, “If I get pregnant, I know I will keep it and you can’t tell me not to,” is anyone’s first response going to be “But wait you should at least pretend to consider abortion otherwise it’s giving the other side fuel, stop treating this subject as if it’s a joke” ?? Responses like this only feed fuel to the opposition by assuming that there is a link between wanting an abortion, and being completely unserious/treating it like it’s game at a party.
In all honesty my response is probably the same. I don’t think I will ever be in a position to be considering it, but if it happened anytime soon, there really is no point in pretending I would consider alternatives. I wouldn’t, and I know I wouldn’t. I would agree that a lot of times the dialogue used to discuss these topics is unnecessarily distancing and whatever, but I don’t think this is one of those times.
Too often there’s this push to create and present the single story of a person who is pregnant and faces dire consequences if they stay pregnant/have a child, and who goes through a ton of agony over the decision, does it, and then feels bad for a while. But not everyone’s experience is like that- and to say that their experience has to be painted that way in order for the movement to be taken seriously does not actually help anyone, I don’t think.
I knew long before that second line on the test that I’d be getting an abortion. I took it as seriously I would getting a root canal. I booked it, I turned up, I had it done. It did not need agonising over. And after the abortion, my partner and I went shopping in London, because it really wasn’t traumatic or hard or anything negative. Hardest decision was which clinic to go to and hardest part of the day was not being allowed to eat beforehand. And fuck the pro choice people who pander to the other side and refuse to acknowledge that some of us really don’t see it as a big scary hard decision.
^ this is how easy it would be for me too. Hollllla.
I never really thought about it that way, actually. It actually singles out abortion in a negative way instead of treating it like any other medical decision.
- irleerah likes this
- euchroma reblogged this from toiletdiving
- fractionalrabbits reblogged this from sluteverxxx
- taysaffirmations likes this
- teacherdee reblogged this from razingcomplacency
- razingcomplacency reblogged this from sluteverxxx and added:
- razingcomplacency likes this
- greenpostcards reblogged this from campdracula5eva
- notsothinlizzy reblogged this from feministdisney
- fofiriam reblogged this from coffeewithants
- quaverserif reblogged this from sluteverxxx
- brooktini likes this
- bananasalways likes this
- comedanceintherain reblogged this from syncategorem
- zladkohasaboaraffe reblogged this from campdracula5eva and added:
- treatyoselfartie likes this
- theheartofthedisease likes this
- adeki reblogged this from feministdisney
- adeki likes this
- daysofdream likes this
- hollyhockdanu-inactive-blog reblogged this from imanassspankme and added:
- imanassspankme reblogged this from hamiltonkitty
- zladkohasaboaraffe likes this
- shittyykittyy reblogged this from sluteverxxx and added:
- andigreyscale likes this
- eilenna likes this
- hungturtle likes this
- toiletdiving reblogged this from friendlyangryfeminist
- uptown-cunt reblogged this from sluteverxxx and added:
- aerisaquata reblogged this from friendlyangryfeminist
- lastallianceofelvesandmen likes this
- friendlyangryfeminist reblogged this from hamiltonkitty and added:
- hamiltonkitty reblogged this from taylorswiftisawinchester and added:
- picturesorconversations reblogged this from feministdisney and added:
- feministsbakecupcakestoo likes this
- taylorswiftisawinchester reblogged this from friendlyangryfeminist and added:
- 40h4error reblogged this from coffeewithants and added:
- xoxogothicgirl reblogged this from feministdisney
- selfsamewoman likes this
- warlocksexalways reblogged this from campdracula5eva and added:
- ho-ho-my-lad reblogged this from feministdisney and added:
- laughingfish reblogged this from campdracula5eva
- laughingfish likes this
- writingrhythmandretail likes this
- we-are-the-weirdos-mister reblogged this from feministdisney and added:
- 100percentrecyclablepet likes this
- sendificator likes this
- jcatgrl likes this
- sluteverxxx reblogged this from campdracula5eva and added:
- ancailleachmuir likes this